HIGH STAKES: Hugging Hurts

Hugging my hunting gun, I step forward. Inches away from me stands a beast, a big beast, a big beast with big feet. “Just a deer,” I tell myself, I know I’m lying, I know what it wants, I know what it is.
Kill the killer before it kills. Little heart and little hands won’t bring the beast to the dirt. Mighty arms and mighty fists will smash the man in me.
Neck hairs rising and chest falling, I am scared. Only once have I felt like this before, when I was waiting outside the theatre. Pounding chest and sweaty palms, I stood there waiting for her.
Quick and reluctant. Rapid and frightened. So pathetic. Tiny man and towering beast, side by side, in confrontation. Under its chest bones I know there is no heart. Veins pump my fear, bulging and strangling my own neck. When will it go away, when will it leave me be?
Xena, the warrior princess, wouldn’t be afraid, and she doesn’t even have a rifle, I do, I am a man. “You have to man up,” I tell myself. Zeus wouldn’t be afraid, and he doesn’t even have a rifle, I do, I am a man.
All around me I hear the silence bellowing from the trees. But above me growls a growling monster. Cock my gun and point my eyes. Dying doesn’t seem easy.
Everyone I know and everyone I am won’t matter in a bit, in a few minutes I’ll be gone, in a few seconds my rifle will have met its match, I’m tired and exhausted, tired of trying, tired of waking up, tired of tiring ties, in a few beats my heart will retreat into silence, my being will fade into the silent trees, silenced and ashamed my rifle will retreat into the dirt, the soil doesn’t want me yet, the clouds aren’t ready for me, but the frightening fury wants me, it wants my flesh, it wants my bullet, it wants my everything, everyone I know and everyone I am, I am a dead man.
Forget me if you can’t. Gone.

REFLECTION:

This particular piece was very very tough to write. Our assignment was to pick a letter in the alphabet and begin the story with a word that begins with that letter. The challenging task was to have each following word begin with the following letter, according to the alphabet.

Alphabetical order was a difficult thing to comply to during the course of this assignement. I learned that, as a reader, I tend to enjoy a lot of self-diologue. I love books where the narrator contemplates plot elemtns to hiself because he is also the main character. Learning this about myself transcended into this assingenr.



As a writer I learned that I reflect the styles I read. This story was very mental for me. I wanted the story's setting to be inside the main character's head. It is better for a reader to become knowledgeable about a characters external conflicts by listening to their internal debate. This skill that I picked up really helped me explore myself as well. I placed myself into my character's shoes and wrote my thoughts. Learning this new skill was a great writing technique because it helped make a character's reaction more natural. 

Though I enjoyed the outcome of this project I feel I could still improve the skill I mentioned earlier. I want to improve my ability to recognize when to utilize that skill. I feel that I could really become a more natural writer if I knew when to become the character. Being able to recognize what assets and skills to use in various situations is vital to becoming a good writer. Like Batman and his bat utility belt, I want to have my own collected writing techniques and skills ready to use when I want. 

Below these next few sentences are a few images. These images are the first drafts of the story you just read. I wrote them in the back of a car on the way to see Anchorman 2 for a special screening before it came out. Sounds cool right? You'd want to go? If you dont want to go then something is wrong with you because apparently everyone wanted to go! When we got there the line was so long and the wait was too tiring and the theater was too full! We were not able to come in and watch the free special screening of Anchorman 2, months before its theatrical release. Anyways, these drafts are very hectic and premature. They were basically just thoughts exploding onto paper. But it was great to see the draft's shape change so much. It began a caterpillar and ended a final draft. 

HERE ARE THE DRAFTS:



No comments:

Post a Comment